Former National Security Adviser (NSA) retired Col. Sambo Dasuki and five others have been granted bail in the second charge of diversion of funds before an FCT High Court.
The bail bonds, which are worth N250 million for each, will be produced by two sureties for each of the accused persons, an aggregate of N3 billion.
Ruling on the bail application yesterday, Justice Peter Affen ordered that the sureties must be retired or serving civil servants of not less than the rank of director.
The judge said the sureties must have a property in the FCT valued at N250 million by surveyors, and must swear to an affidavit of means.
The judge further ordered the accused persons to deposit their international passport with the court registrar.
The judge warned against the re-arrest of the accused persons, adding that if there is need for further investigation, they should be invited by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) within the hours of 9am to 6pm and they must be allowed to go home afterwards.
The judge ordered the remand of the accused persons in Kuje prisons pending the perfection of the bail conditions.
Dasuki was arraigned on a 22-count charge of alleged conspiracy, breach of trust and misappropriation of funds meant for arms valued at N8.7 billion.
Those also arraigned are: Attahiru Bafarawa, former governor of Sokoto State, his son Sagir Attahiru; Bashir Yuguda, former Minister of Finance; Dalhatu Investment Ltd, a company owned by Sagir and Shuaibu Salisu, a former director of Finance in the office of the NSA.
Earlier on December 16, the bail application was argued by defence counsels P.T. Akpa, Ahmed Raji, Joshua Olatoke, and H. O. Afolabi, all Senior Advocates of Nigeria, who maintained that the offences are bailable, while hinting that if proved against their clients, the case can be resolved through non-custodial measures.
But prosecution counsel Rotimi Jacobs (SAN) had opposed the bail application, insisting that the offences are serious. He claimed that the accused persons could jeopardise ongoing investigations if released on bail.
The trial has been fixed for February 2 and 3, 2016.
Dasuki and four others are also facing a separate 19-count charge of funds diversion to the tune of N13.570 billion before another court of the FCT High Court.
They were on Friday also granted bail by the court in the sum of N250 million with one surety each in like sum.
In the charges, Dasuki was arraigned along with: Shuaibu Salisu, a former director of finance in his office, Aminu Baba-Kusa, a former Group Executive Director of NNPC; Acacia Holdings Ltd and Reliance Hospital Ltd.
Waripamowei Dudafa, a former aide to President Jonathan is said to be at large.
Dasuki was first arraigned before a Federal High Court in Abuja on a five counts charge of unlawful possession of firearms and money laundering which is contrary to Sections 27(1) (a) (i) of the Firearms Act, CAP F28 LFN, 2004 and 15 (2) (d) of Money Laundering Prohibition Act 2011 respectively.
Despite the order of the presiding judge, Justice Adeniyi Ademola granting Dasuki permission to travel to the UK for medical treatment on November 3, the Department of State Services (DSS) continued to barricade his home at No 13, John Kadija Street, Asokoro preventing the trip. The EFCC cited fresh investigation.
Subsequently, the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Mohammed Diri and the lead prosecution counsel Oladipupo Opeseyitan (SAN), in separate applications, asked the court stay the order permitting Dasuki to travel for medical treatment, and to revoke the bail earlier granted him after his initial arraignment in September.
Also, the founder of Daar Communications and Holdings Ltd, Raymond Dokpesi was arraigned on before a Federal High Court in Abuja. In a six-count charge brought by the EFCC, Dokpesi was alleged to have received the sum of N2.1 billion from Dasuki through First Bank PLC for media coverage of the activities of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
Before Dokpesi was granted bail in the sum of N200 million with two sureties each in like sum by Justice Gabriel Kolawole, the EFCC opposed the bail on the grounds of fresh investigation into allegations of N8.4 billion TV rights allegedly received by Dokpesi for the FIFA Under-17 World Cup hosted by Nigeria in January 2012.