The management of the National Youth Service Corps, NYSC, has announced the indefinite postponement of the 2016 Batch ‘A’ Stream II orientation programme, which was earlier billed to start on Saturday.
The management of the scheme, in a statement issued on Thursday, said a new date would be made public in due time.
The statement reads, “The Management of the National Youth Service Corps regrets to announce the postponement of the 2016 Batch ‘A’ (Stream II) Orientation course scheduled to commence on Saturday, 21st May, 2016 due to logistics reasons.
“We enjoin all Prospective Corps members to watch out for a new date to be announced later.
“All inconveniences are highly regretted, please.”
It would be recalled that the scheme had earlier postponed the orientation course from March 30 to April 30, owing to logistics problems, only to further reveal its lack of funds.
Director-general of NYSC, Sule Kazaure, who spoke on Monday when he appeared before the senate committee on youth and sports, stated that the scheme lacked necessary funds.
He had said, “We had written to federal ministry of youth and sports, finance, budget and the presidency even before the end of the orientation camp for Batch A, Stream One.
“We are presently at a loss in NYSC now as there is no money for us to mobilise thousands of prospective corps members in the Batch A Stream 2 to camp this Saturday.”
However, in another statement released on Tuesday, NYSC commended government’s efforts for wading into its financial problems, adding that the orientation will go on as planned.
It said, “The National Youth Service Corps wishes to express profound appreciation of the federal government’s intervention through the release of funds for the 2016 Batch ’A’ stream II orientation course.”