President Muhammadu Buhari has said that he would not interfere with the screening of ministerial nominees set to commence on Tuesday.
Speaking through his Senior Special Assistant on National Assembly matters (Senate), Senator Ita Enang, President Buhari declared that the nominees would have to acquit themselves before the Senae as required by law during the screening process.
Enang made this disclosure on Friday while speaking with newsmen on the decision of the Senate that the ministerial nominees must show proof of their assets declaration.
The presidential adviser vowed to work with the senators and the nominees to ensure their satisfaction so the nomination will be done smoothly.
“The Senate is the Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the Senate is free to set its criteria for the screening of the nominees appearing before it.
“We will not dispute with the senate on what they want because it absolutely lies in the heart and minds of the respective and distinguished senators to determine what to ask.
“You cannot limit the question that you can ask a nominee, the senators are free and the nominees will be free to answer the question so the senators are within their rights to request what they want,” he said.
Speaking further, Enang said it would be unfair to counter what the Senate had already decided on as it was not proper to go into a controversy with the Senate on any matter that lies within their constitutional powers.
Asked about the list of the remaining names sent in by President Muhammadu Buhari, Enang replied that those eligible for screening on Tuesday are the 21 names that are on the list.